Re: RARA-AVIS: Katy Munger's tough PI

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 21 Nov 2003

I'm shocked, Mario, because I find her characters utterly true to life
(except perhaps the man who owns the agency can't be that fat and eat so constantly), and then these real people do real things that I haven't seen fictional characters doing before. Like hating Duke: Everybody I know in North Carolina is rabid about college basketball and hates Duke; I have no idea why this is so, but Munger's the only novelist I've read who puts it on the page. And like loving (and lusting after) a man in a wheelchair: It's something that happens, I've been there myself, and nobody else AFAIK has written it.
    As far as flights of fantasy, I despised those talking animals and fairy princesses I was supposed to enjoy as a child, and I can't think of anything I've read since then that was too rational.

Joy