Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: THE SAILCLOTH SHROUD

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Nov 2003

--- Graham Powell < bleekerbooks@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >...Charles Williams THE SAILCLOTH SHROUD (not one
> of his
> >better efforts)...
>
> To quote John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious!" I
> really enjoyed that book
> very much. I thought it was a bit different than
> some of his contemporaries
> because of the reasonableness of the plot. Unlike
> some others, the plot
> didn't have a hysterical feel - everything seemed
> like it could really
> happen. And the hero was just a guy, not Superman.

I like Williams very much, at least what I've read of him (which isn't much, he's still hard to find. But I really liked SCORPION REEF and HELL HATH NO FURY/THE HOT SPOT.) I just couldn't get into this -- I found it kind of dull, frankly. You're right, the hero's just an average schmoe: I thought he was a little slow on the uptake, though.

I do have DEAD CALM in the stacks, which I'm looking forward to.

> I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

My favorite version of it: "that's why they race horses".

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com