RE: RARA-AVIS: Recommendations?: Lindroos

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 20 Nov 2003

-----Original Message----- From: JT Lindroos [mailto: juha@oivas.com] Otherwise I've been reading LIZA CODY's short stories in the Crippen & Landru collection LUCKY DIP and I'm loving this stuff...It's a lot of fun, but there's dark stuff creeping in -- it's all handled brilliantly with a great quirky yet real lead character, and I can't wait to read more of her stuff. Anybody else, recommendations?

Yeah, Juha...the mood of the Cody I've read is far into the ultraviolet, perhaps into the Xray range (gets down to the bone, to overextend the metaphor).

I'm sure I've mentioned Michael Chabon's "The Final Solution" here, from what might still be the current (Summer) issue of THE PARIS REVIEW--a Holmes story with a lot of dark resonance and a bit of the fantastic (which may not help it)...if the MURDER ROOMS series of television drama was to one's liking...

And another theoretically unlikely magazine, the current ONTARIO REVIEW, features a good share of noirish (at least) stuff by the likes of Sheila Kohler...

...and then there's the slight but promising 1951 William McGivern short I read in a 1951 FANTASTIC ADVENTURES the other night...

TM