Re: RARA-AVIS: Various authors

From: JT Lindroos ( juha@oivas.com)
Date: 20 Nov 2003

>>I've kinda been in a slump for the last few books. The last really decent
thing I read was Benedict's DOGS OF GOD, and I had already read it before. Whoops! Shouldn't say that. Thornburg's CUTTER AND BONE was great. <<

I started on Thornburg's BLACK ANGUS but haven't had the chance to finish it yet -- it's terrific, if less obviously so than CUTTER AND BONE.

>>I'm tempted to give up experimenting for a while and go back to tried and
true. Cormac McCarthy's SUTTREE, Gores's INTERFACES and COME MORNING, and Faulkner's LIGHT IN AUGUST have sat unread on the shelf for a long time. <<

I finished INTERFACE a couple of months ago and it was absolutely wonderful. It starts off running and never relents. The plotting is fabulous, and the characters memorable. There's a short story featuring Neal Fargo, but I haven't found it. Anybody? I know Gores wrote a screenplay for the novel and some sources claim there was a movie based on it but I haven't seen any actual evidence of such.

Otherwise I've been reading LIZA CODY's short stories in the Crippen & Landru collection LUCKY DIP and I'm loving this stuff. I went to the library and got one of her novels, BUCKET NUT, and halfway through that I can recommend it without reservations. It's a lot of fun, but there's dark stuff creeping in -- it's all handled brilliantly with a great quirky yet real lead character, and I can't wait to read more of her stuff. Anybody else, recommendations?

--JT.

--
JT Lindroos
Wit's End Publishing