Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Lost Hammett

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Nov 2003

Doug,

Re your comment below:

> Great project, though I'm surprsed that the Hammett
> estate has given the
> copyright permission(s). But more pwoer to you!

My understanding, from a talk given by Hammett's daughter at a recent Bouchcercon, is that, per an agreement by contending parties, the estate has been split into two separate controlling interests.

The novels (with the exception of BLOOD MONEY) are controlled by the Lillian Hellman estate.

The short stories are controlled by the offspring of Hammett and their heirs. Under this agreement, the two installments that make up BLOOD MONEY are regarded as short stories rather than as two halves of a novel.

Since this agreement, access to the short stories has become much easier.

JIM DOHERTY