RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Hollywood, by Decharne

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 10 Nov 2003

Has anyone seen the new book, just out this month I think, by Max Decharne: HARDBOILED HOLLYWOOD (Trafalgar Square Press, 2003)? The publisher's copy at Amazon says:

| THE BIG SLEEP, THE GODFATHER, LITTLE CAESAR, LA CONFIDENTIAL--behind
| these classic films there's a story waiting to be told, and pulp novels,
| bank robbers, and serial killers have all played a part in shaping crime
| cinema. But after Hollywood throws these elements into the
| blender--along with the demands of censors, backers, and the frequently
| rampant egos of stars and directors--the finished film often bears
| little resemblance to its source. Real crimes are often considered by
| filmmakers to be too brutal, and their perpetrators too unattractive.
| When Sam Peckinpah filmed THE GETAWAY, for instance, the novels
| pessimistic ending had to be changed to suit the tastes of its
| glittering stars, Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw.

Those are some of my favourite books and movies, and I love reading about how they go from one to the other. Any rare birds want to offer a review?

Bill