Re: RARA-AVIS: porn in noir: Louise Welsh's _The Cutting Room_

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 08 Nov 2003

>>Poe is quoted about the death of a beautiful women being the most
beautiful thing in the world. >>

Poe actually said, "of all melancholy topics, what, according to the universal understanding of mankind, is the most melancholy?" Death was the obvious reply. "And when," I said, "is this most melancholy topic most poetical?" From what I have already explained at some length, the answer, here also, is obvious--"When it most closely allies itself to Beauty: the death, then, of a beautiful woman is, unquestionably, the most poetical topic in the world."

Big difference there.

Bill Crider