Re: RARA-AVIS: porn in noir: Louise Welsh's _The Cutting Room_

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 08 Nov 2003

Jay wrote:

"Not too far from Jane Campion's version of the novel _The Cutting Room_."

Campion's movie is In the Cut, based on Susanna Moore's novel of the same name. Haven't seen the movie, but I have read the novel, which I found a bit belabored. The "mystery" was absolutely ridiculous, which was a shame since some of the character development was pretty interesting. It would have worked better if it had just pursued her sexuality and pursuit of an increasinly noir private life without trying to force it into a murder mystery format, complete with a contrived whodunnit based on a pretty obvious clue.

Mark