Re: RARA-AVIS: SHOOTING ELVIS, by Eversz

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 03 Nov 2003

Joy wrote:

"I'm not familiar with Gypsy Hearts and will look it up."

It's about a likeable enough, non-violent con man claiming to be a Hollywood producer -- he's in Prague trying to raise money for his next film. Of course, there is no film. He gets taken by a pretty stereotypical femme fatale, then tracks her down, conning her way across Europe with (is he really?) her brother. I found his obsession uncovincing (unlike the one in, say, Will Christopher Baer's Kiss Me Judas -- even if that book relied on the hoary "wakes up in an ice-filled tub without his kidney" urban legend) and the plot terribly predictable. The jacket copy calls it a comic thriller, but I don't remember much humor beyond some of the narrator's smartass comments. I figured it was just a comment to appeal to fans of Shooting Elvis.

The writing on Prague, though, is very good. Again according to the jacket copy, Eversz moved there in 1992. Does he still live there? Is his writing on LA in the Nina Zero books just from memory? Those book have a great sense of place, too.

Mark