Re: RARA-AVIS: SHOOTING ELVIS, by Eversz

From: Ivan Van Laningham ( ivanlan@pauahtun.org)
Date: 03 Nov 2003

Hi All-- I like and admire the Nina Zero books a great deal. I've got signed editions of everything Bob's written, although I admit I haven't yet read his earlier, non-Zero books (I've been waiting for months to describe them that way).

If you like Nina Zero, you might like Andi Holmes: http://www.andi-holmes.com/ (Under massive construction, please be patient--my day job takes up way too much time--but one story is posted and there's a link to the other published one).

Metta, Ivan

Joy Matkowski wrote:

> I loved this book, Miker, as have all the other women I've heard mention it.
> Women even cite him as proof that, yes, a male author can write a real
> female character. Yet male readers seem to hate this series.
> Have any male rare birds loved this book? Have any female rare birds
> hated it?
>
> Joy, who doesn't recall suspending any disbelief
>
> Miker wrote:
> > I forgot to mention that I read Eversz's SHOOTING
> > ELVIS about a week or two ago. I have been hearing
> > about Nina Zero for a long time, so I thought I'd give
> > it a shot. I didn't care for it. It was definitely
> > cartoonish, but that's not usually a problem for me.
> > I don't mind suspending disbelief for something
> > worthwhile, but this books read like a bad computer
> > animation. Eversz was ineffective at framing his
> > characters and the plot was lackluster.
>
> --
> # Plain ASCII text only, please. Anything else won't show up.

Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.pauahtun.org/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours