Re: RARA-AVIS: A GARDEN OF SAND, Earl Thompson

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 01 Nov 2003

Geir Glosvik wrote: What kind of a writer was Earl Thompson? Hubin doesn't even mention him in his Comprehensive Bibliography, so he can't be a traditional writer of 'Crime Fiction'. One of the more serious ones?

************************** GARDEN OF SAND is about a young boy growing up poor during the Great Depression. CALDO LARGO is about a fisherman, I think. Been a long time since I read it. The crime that figures into Thompson's plots are small time scams, thefts, weighed with a lot of vice. I thought CALDO LARGO was pretty good. I loved GARDEN OF SAND. One of the best books I've ever read. The sequel to it, TATTOO, stunk. So obsessively sexual that Thompson should have called it JACK'S DICK.

miker