RARA-AVIS: A GARDEN OF SAND, Earl Thompson

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Oct 2003

Last time I read this book was 20 years ago. I was impressed with it then. I just finished rereading it and I'd have to say it is one of the greatest books I've ever read in my life. I've never read anything that has equalled Thompson's character development. Jack's grandma and grandpa come alive. Certain scenes in the book have remained vivid to me for 20 years. Powerful. Colorful. Stunning. Hardboiled as hell.

The book centers on Jack's childhood, starting in Depression era Kansas. The story is at once one of dignity and deprivation, hope and loss. Jack's father dies when Jack is a baby, and his mother lives wild, leaving him to his grandparents. When she finally comes and gets him they embark on a blistering saga of crime and vice across the Depression-ravaged South.

miker