Re: RARA-AVIS: The Long Lavender Look

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Oct 2003

This is my personal favorite of the McGee series -- the plot is tighter than most and the philosophizing
(while still there) is cut down to a minimum. I also enjoy the attitude throughout -- there's a snarky, cynical edge to McGee here that doesn't often pop up. His love interest this go-round, for instance, is handled in a very unusual way.

doug

recent hb reads: K.C. Constantine's MAN WHO LIKED TO LOOK AT HIMSELF/A FIX LIKE THIS; Brett Halliday's FIT TO KILL, both recommended. Also rediscovering Erle Stanley Gardner -- a "midboiled" writer who's not as good as Rex Stout, but still good and oddly underrated nowadays.

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com