RARA-AVIS: Question about themes: Ms Meaker

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 13 Oct 2003

Ms Meaker,

I've read four of your Vin Packer Gold Medals. It seems to me that aside from SPRING FIRE, the other three have a common theme concerning the conditions under which a non-criminal will turn violently criminal. Was this something you had in mind? Is this a common theme that runs through most of your Vin Packer novels? Aside from this, it looks like you cover a number of social issues, including racism and juvenile deliquency.

In your memoir about you and Highsmith you express a disdain for traveling abroad. Have you been over to Europe yet? Have you lived in New York all your life? Do you vacation anywhere regularly?

I like the old Gold Medal copies of your novels, but it would be nice to see a Library of America collection of your works. Any plans on reprints? Sorry if this has been asked. I seem to remember somebody asking if any of the Packer novels are in print.

Thanks, miker