Re: RARA-AVIS: Question for Marijane Meaker: The fifties

From: Marijane Meaker ( mjmeaker@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Oct 2003

I knew no other Gold Medal writers, Bill. We didn't hang out together. Maybe the males did...and also I was a lot younger than most (22) and very new to writing Spring Fire was my first published novel. Most writers had already published. Dick Carroll knew a lot of them. Dick also suggested that I write under a pseudonym because Marijane Meaker was too girly a name for his audience. When I wanted to write journalistic type books about lesbians in NYC much as Donald Webster Cory had done about males, I chose the name Bianca Blye. Dick blew up. He said it sounded like Captain Blye. He said "You want an all-American nice girl's name, a Henry Aldrich type name." (The Aldrich Family was big on radio). I said ok, Ann Aldrich it will be. Dick was right.