Re: RARA-AVIS: Real Pulp

From: Marijane Meaker ( mjmeaker@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Oct 2003

Alot of people confuse paperback and pulp. I always hate to see Patricia Highsmith listed as a pulp writer or a paperback writer. All of her books were published first in hardcover, unlike my own. Pulp writers to me wrote for magazines like Black Mask at a penny a word. Gold Medal paperback writers were paid by the print order, a penny a copy, with the print order usually 400,000 a good deal more than most hardcover writers got...Some of the confusion lies in the fact there were a lot of cheap paperback houses which published junk. Gold Medal set the standard, then Lion Books and some others followed. Vin Packer