Re: RARA-AVIS: Pauline Kael and Pancake

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 05 Oct 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mario Taboada" < matrxtech@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 12:21 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Pauline Kael and Pancake

> <<The theory has been widely influential, which
> may be why it seems so
> obvious to people today, although it has had its critics
> (Kael was one) and
> still seems quite debatable to me.>>
>
> Gore Vidal thinks the auteur theory is a joke. He says
> that, if an "author" is to be found in a film, it's the
> screenwriter. Of course, he wrote scripts...

Mario, ever seen Gore Vidal's comments when interviewed for Ken Burns' biographical documentary of Thomas Jefferson? They're hilarious. It's pretty clear that he's still trying to atone for switching the basic characters/personalities of Jefferson and his megalomaniac vice president, Aaron Burr, in his novel, "Burr," and he does that by waxing rhapsodic about the golden qualities of our third president. Of course, this *was* filmed before those DNA tests on Sally Hemmings' descendants came back....

Brian