RARA-AVIS: Kantner, Pancake, Brody, Didion, and West

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 30 Sep 2003

Ed Lynskey wrote:
> One of my recent used pb purchases was Rob Kantner's
> THE BACK-DOOR MAN which I'm finishing up. I'm
> really enjoying his breezy adventures in the
> Motor City and beyond. Mr. Kantner has an engaging
> writing style that clips along. I've had him on
> my tbr list and I've not been disappointed.
>
> I haven't tried Vicky Hendricks'work but the
> feedback from miker has been positive so I'll
> put her in the hopper.

************************ And I put Kantner on my list, Ed. Is THE BACK-DOOR MAN the one to read by him?

I got the D'J Pancake stories in the mail tonight. I'm looking forward to reading them. Continuing with the Australian hardboiled that I asked about several months ago, I just ordered a Marc Brody novel, something about blondes and blackmail. It's from the later 1950s.

Right now I'm finishing up one that Jim Blue (I think) recommended about a year ago, Joan Didion's PLAY IT AS IT LAYS. They compare her to Nathanael West on the back cover. I can see a couple reasons. Human cruelty figures big. And this particular one is a classic Hollywood book, reminiscent of West's DAY OF THE LOCUST. All the classic Hollywood themes done up in style.

miker