RARA-AVIS: Over My Dead Body and more Vin Packer

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Sep 2003

Nigel wrote: OVER MY DEAD BODY was written by Lee Server, whose ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF PULP FICTION WRITERS was mentioned a while back. This, and his Robert Mitchum bio BABY I DON'T CARE, are well worth reading - he's a good writer in total command of his material.

*************** I thought that name sounded familiar. Is Lee Server the one who wrote that high dollar noir book that Al reviewed recently?

I've been going through the OVER MY DEAD BODY again this evening and I've got to recommend it to anybody with a beginning interest in the rise of the paperback, from 1945 to 1955. I say "beginning" interest because the book is not big, and if you're already fairly familiar with the era, then most likely it's all repeat information. Did I mention the colors are BEAUTIFUL? Haha.

Just finished THE EVIL FRIENDSHIP, my 4th Gold Medal by Vin Packer. Starting another tomorrow. Got the Hendricks MIAMI PURITY in the mail yesterday. Nice-sized trade paperback. Blurb says something about it doing naughty as all get out.

miker