RARA-AVIS: About The Raymond Chandler Papers

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 22 Sep 2003

Mr. Sullivan asked about THE RAYMOND CHANDLER PAPERS (2000), the collection edited by Tom Hiney and Frank MacShane (who died in 1998). Hiney's introduction says MacShane's "valiant work lives on in this selection, which expands on, and bases itself on, his 1981 selection." He also says, "I believe I have found some interesting new material.... Readers familiar with the two earlier selections will therefore find plenty of new material to enjoy here In addition to that retrieved from existing papers (including never previously seen journalism) several new letters have come to light in the last ten years--notably Chandler's two-year correspondence with a fan-turned-lover named Louise Loughner."

Collections of letters aren't easy to read (or so I find) but there's some good stuff in here, and enough new stuff for a Chandler afficionado with some spare simoleons to head for the bookstore.

Here's a letter to one Paul Brooks, joking about a Chandler cookbook, 28 November 1957. "It will have headlines such as HOW TO BROIL A STEAK - DON'T. HOW TO MAKE A DINNER IN TEN MINUTES. HOW TO MAKE COFFEE THAT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE COLORED WATER OT A STEWED SLIPPER. DISHES THAT TAKE ALL DAY AND THE HELL WITH THEM. REALLY GOOD MASHED POTATOES ARE AS RARE AS VIRGINS, BUT ANY FOOL CAN MAKE THEM IF HE TRIES."

Here's the last line from the last letter in the book, to Maurice Guinness, 21 February 1959, about Marlowe: "I see him always in a lonely street, in lonely rooms, puzzled but never quite defeated." Beautiful.

Bill