Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler's COLLECTED STORIES

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Sep 2003

Mark,

Re your question below:

> Glad I could help, Jim. And you reminded me of a
> question I've been
> meaning to ask. Does The Raymond Chandler Papers:
> Selected Letters and
> Nonfiction 1909-1959 offer new material or does it
> overlap Ramond
> Chandler Speaking and/or Selected Letters of Ramnd
> Chandler. Is it
> worth getting if I have both of the earlier
> collections?

I haven't seen it. My speculation (and it's only speculation) would be that it's probably RAYMOND CHANDLER SPEAKING and SELECTED LETTERS OF RAYMOND CHANDLER combined, without not much new material that isn't in the other two books, in the same way that COLLECTED STORIES is basically THE SIMPLE ART OF MURDER (or, if you're British, THE SMELL OF FEAR) plus KILLER IN THE RAIN, without a lot of new material.

But, as I say, that's ONLY speculation.

JIM DOHERTY