RARA-AVIS: One More Bob Rafelson Title

From: chrisaschneider@earthlink.net
Date: 18 Sep 2003

As long as we're doing "career overview" ..., let's not forget "Blood and Wine." That's the Rafelson picture with Nicholson and Judy Davis and Michael Caine and Jennifer Lopez. Missed it, alas, but it still sounds worthwhile. And, yes, it *is* a crime picture.

Chris

-----Original Message----- From: Dick Lochte < dlochte@adelphia.net> Sent: Sep 18, 2003 5:48 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: RE:Bob Rafelson

Chris wrote:

"Sounds a lot, to me, like the missing girl played by Lea Massari in Antonioni's "L'Avventura." She's the character whose disappearance sets the plot in motion and, after a while, is forgotten by searchers Monica Vitti and Gabriele Ferzetti.

Something tells me that, coming from the director of "Five Easy Pieces" and "King of Marvin Gardens," the losing track of a crucial character isn't so much careless omission as it is a deliberate artistic gesture. Lost and forgotten purposes, etc. It also seems that director Rafelson is of just the right generation and temperament to make an Antonioni hommage likely."

----

If memory serves, Rafelson is also responsible for the o.k. movie made from Robert Parker's not so o.k. completion of "Poodle Springs." He also directed the rather good "Black Widow" which is worth catching on its many replays on the Mystery channel. So I guess he's been slowly progressing from the goofus alienation of "The Monkees" to the dark alienation of "Pieces" to full out crime noir, like "The Postman Always ..." and his current flicks.
Lochte