Re: RARA-AVIS: House on Turk Street/No Good Deed

From: chrisaschneider@earthlink.net
Date: 18 Sep 2003

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> Sent: Sep 17, 2003 2:38 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: House on Turk Street/No Good Deed

?ps - minor quibble -- after [Samuel L. Jackson's] initial search and his repeated insistence throughout the movie that he was just on the street because he was looking for a girl, we never hear if that girl was found, even though there is a brief coda after Friar has returned home.?

--

Sounds a lot, to me, like the missing girl played by Lea Massari in Antonioni's "L'Avventura." She's the character whose disappearance sets the plot in motion and, after a while, is forgotten by searchers Monica Vitti and Gabriele Ferzetti.
Something tells me that, coming from the director of "Five Easy Pieces" and "King of Marvin Gardens," the losing track of a crucial character isn't so much careless omission as it is a deliberate artistic gesture. Lost and forgotten purposes, etc. It also seems that director Rafelson is of just the right generation and temperament to make an Antonioni hommage likely.

Chris