Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Killers, And The Poets Who Know Them,

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Sep 2003

I think that part of what's being rejected by Kevin and others is the cult of Morrison. I find cults odious, too. It happens a lot when artists die young.

Dizzy Gillespie said once that one of his great satisfactions as a jazz musician was knowing that he could never be the object of a cult.

Some people (Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Chet Baker) attract cultists, while others (Dizzy, Louis, Duke) don't. In classical music, Horowitz had a huge cult, whereas Rubinstein, an equally great or even greater musician, never did. He didn't even get fan mail. Go figure.

Pop and rock have of course thrived on cults. The selling system fosters the cults.

In hardboiled literature, cults are relatively rare. II'm not even sure one can speak of a Chandler or a Hammett cult. Yes, they were the best, but... Perhaps we are too cynical to idolize *any* writers. As cynical as hardboiled writers themselves...

Best regards, and yes, let's bury our dead thread. And our alliterations.

MrT