RARA-AVIS: Slamming the Doors Shut (or Rara Avis: The Musical)

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 17 Sep 2003

Mark wrote:

>I hate to interrupt a good harangue -- especially one with which I agree
>- -- with facts, but Light My Fire was a Doors original.

Yep. By Robby Krieger. But you get extra points for the Dixon and Knack references.

And Dave wrote:

> >> A killer on the road whose brain is squirming like a toad? Toads hop,
> >> they don't slither. Ah, but then "snake" doesn't rhyme with
>"road"...
>
>I guess as a kid you never picked up toads. If you did you'd know they
>can squirm like hell.

Sure, I did all that kid stuff. But Morrison didn't say the killer's brain is squirming like a toad in the hand of a kid. Most people think of toads as hopping, not squirming. So the imagery is a little shaky. Though it does rhyme.

But is the brain of the killer on the road that's squirming like a toad? Or is the killer's brain actually squirming like a toad on the road? If the latter, the killer can't be much of a threat, what with his gray matter squirming all over the pavement. Sort of like the song is all over the place, what with those riders on the storm and lonely actors and boneless dogs and groovy sound effects and all that loving your man stuff. But it does mostly rhyme.

>Hey guess what, your and other posts simply prove that music, like
>literature, is SUBJECTIVE.

No need to shout -- most of us here already know that opinions are subjective. But some opinions are worth more than others. An opinion without backup is, you could say, like "a dog without a bone."

And I still don't think Morrison's lyrics, whatever his other
"talents" were, were particularly hard-boiled. And nobody, including you, has so far offered up any evidence to convince me otherwise. I'm not saying he didn't write some good pop songs, or couldn't sing or wasn't a snappy dresser or anything like that -- I just don't think he was a particularly good example of someone who wrote hard-boiled lyrics.

And please, don't take it personally. It's the argument I'm interested in, not you.

(Hmmm... maybe I'm a Jesuit after all...)