RARA-AVIS: Recent Acquisitions

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Sep 2003

I took Katy antiquing up in Wisconsin for her birthday last weekend. While she looked for Fiestaware, I, of course, haunted the bookstalls and found some unexpected treasures.

A Dell mapbook of Dashiell Hammett's BLOOD MONEY for a buck. A BUCK! I've seen those go for fifty dollars or more!

A hardback of my favorite Mike Shayne, A TASTE FOR VIOLENCE, for only three dollars, with the DJ completely intact. It was a Book Club edition, but still, it WAS a hardback.

A hardback of Thomas Walsh's second novel, THE NIGHT WATCH, for three dollars, with the DJ in pretty good shape. This was Walsh's second book, after the Edgar-winning NIGHTMARE IN MANHATTAN, and one of his comparatively rare procedural novels (best-known for cop stories due to the hundreds of short procedurals he wrote, only four of his novels fit that category). THE NIGHT WATCH was the partial basis for the '50s noir PUSHOVER, with Fred MacMurray as a crooked cop.

I've generally found that the best book prices tend to be found in antique malls rather than book dealers. Has that been the case with any of you?

JIM DOHERTY