RARA-AVIS: hardboiled bios?

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 16 Sep 2003

From their descriptions, these two bios would seem to fit the above description:

David Allan Coe's autobiography Just for the Record

I've read criticism of James Gavin's Deep in a Dream: The Long Night of Chet Baker for not dealing enough with his music. However, Ian Penman's review in the latest issue of Wire makes it sound like our kind of book. This statement paticularly intrigued me:

"I've read just about every junkie narrative extant, and this out pigs them all."

Has anyone read either of these?

Mark