RARA-AVIS: Spoiler question on Starr's Hard Feelings

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Sep 2003

I lent this novel to a friend, who enjoyed it but asked:
"So, was this guy's wife really cheating on him? I can't tell."

I can't tell either. Does anybody know? Once raised, the question bugs me, though it didn't as I was reading (very fast, I couldn't help it).

Why does this novel remind me of Neil LaBute's great film
_Your Friends and Neighbors_, which is not noir?

Best, and thanks in advance.

Mario