Re: RARA-AVIS: Could the real Men in Black stand up?

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Sep 2003

Why be so hard on The Doors? The band had real musicians, Morrison had raw talent (theatrical, not musical) and their lyrics were no more pretentious than those of their peers
-- the other great bands. Bashing a bunch of youngsters who were beginning to learn their craft, particularly when compared to musicians with long careers and lots of practice on the road, seems misguided.

In my view, "pretentiousness" occurs when the material exceeds the musical ability of the group. This happened even to The Beatles (sacred pop icons, but far more inept musicians than The Doors).

A local radio station decided to have an all-Beatles set that lasts several hours. I listened to it once and was appalled at how primitive and silly a lot of those songs are.

The great bands were those that could play good music, including improvisation, not just "songs". The Doors is one of those bands (with the Grateful Dead, Cream, the various combinations of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and their bands, et a few al.). I think music should be separated from pop culture (at least for musical analysis).

Now to Ellroy: his literary ambition may exceed his writing ability --I don't know for certain, for "literary",
"ambition" and "writing ability" are abstract terms. But he's shown that he's a superb writer of violent, terrifying tales of greed and corruption. You can't take that away from him.

Best,

MrT