Re: RARA-AVIS: Could the real Men in Black stand up?

From: tieresias@att.net
Date: 15 Sep 2003

> On 14 September 2003, Mark Sullivan wrote:
>
> : So Morrison was the James Ellroy of hardboiled music?
>
> Ellroy did quote "There's a killer on the road" for the title of one of
> his books. Mr. Williams, in INTO THE BADLANDS, says this is one of the
> only cases where Ellroy shows any liking or use for post-fifties music.

How fitting.

Don't get me wrong, I think some of the Doors' stuff is great pop music
("Love Me Two Times," "Hello, I Love You," and "Break On Through" spring to mind). That said, stuff like "The End," and nearly anything from
"Wierd Scenes Inside The Gold Mine" seems over-blown, postured, pretentious, and as derivative as all get out (in other words, analogous to the majority of the body of work James Ellroy has produced since "The Black Dahlia").

I have mentioned before (and discussed at length) my own considered opinion regarding the work of Mr. Ellroy, so there's no need to dredge all of that up again, butI have to say that the analogy here works for me.

All the Best,

Brian