RE: RARA-AVIS: Stribling: our kind of guy: Taboada

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 10 Sep 2003

Not solely pulp but slick fiction as well. He got around. (He has a story in Donald Wollheim's pioneering anthology POCKET BOOK OF SCIENCE FICTION, for example.)

Also, sounds like you need to read some Manly Wade Wellman, if you haven't already, most particularly his John stories (first collected in WHO FEARS THE DEVIL?). I've only recently read of his encounter with a petty, boorish, and ultimately cowardly William Faulkner (not one of WF's better moments, I'm sure).

TM, who was too busy to take issue with you about Joyce Carol Oates the other week.

-----Original Message----- From: Mario Taboada [mailto: matrxtech@yahoo.com] This powerful declarative prose reminds me not so much of Faulknerian Southern but of mountain talk (if you've ever heard Ralph Stanley talk you'll know what I'm talking about).

Stribling is our kind of guy. The Store is a great novel. Stribling was as good as Erskine Caldwell but without so much melodrama and anger. Now I am curious about his pulp fiction.