Re: RARA-AVIS: Warren Zevon & hardboiled music

From: JT Lindroos ( juha@oivas.com)
Date: 09 Sep 2003

>>His last album, THE WIND, isn't his best, but man, who can ever hear
Dylan's "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" again, and not think of Zevon laying down that track while walking up the steps? I'll be keeping Zevon in my heart for a long while.<<

It's too bad he's not around to appreciate the attention he is getting now, but I suspect the irony wasn't lost on him.

Not to shift attention from Zevon, but I recall a thread about hardboiled music and digging my shelves for stuff to go with "Lawyers, Guns and Money" I came across the albums John Cale did in the mid-70s and would heartily recommend "Fear" (1974) and Slow Dazzle (1975) in particular to anybody looking for suitable music. Songs like "Guts", "Gun", "Barracuda", "Fear is a Man's Best Friend", and a brilliant spooky version of "Heartbreak Hotel" should appeal to anybody who likes Zevon and hardboiled fiction. (good lyric sample: ttp://huizen.dds.nl/~johanm/cale/lyrics/fear.html#gun) --Juha.

--
JT Lindroos
wit's end publishing