RARA-AVIS: K.W. Jeter, Kim Newman

From: chrisaschneider@earthlink.net
Date: 09 Sep 2003

-------Original Message------- From: Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> Sent: 08/28/03 05:06 PM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Themes of the Months

> Chris, you mentioned Jeter's "Noir." How is that? I liked the few novels I have read by him, especially Farewell Horizontal. And I once read that Jeter described his In the Land of the Dead as, "Jim Thompson mates with corpses in John Steinbeck's bed." Given that description, I have no idea why I've never read it. Is it accurate?

Related to the sci-fi/noir fusion, what's Kim Newman's Night City like?

--

First of all, Mark, my apologies for not responding sooner.
"Noir" I own, but I've yet to read it and my copy has become inaccessible. (Don't ask.) But it looks very promising. It would seem to be violent escapades in a landscape not dissimilar to the Scott/Peoples "Blade Runner" movie, with detectives and criminals and characters with names like McNihil.

Chris
-- # Plain ASCII text only, please. Anything else won't show up. # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .