Re: RARA-AVIS: police manpower

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 04 Sep 2003

Jim,

Thanks for the fascinating glimpse into the reality of police distribution. And as you note, there's involvement and then there's involvement -- for instance, having lived through the Beltway Sniper's reign, I know a large number of cops were directly assigned to it, but far more were involved in at least part of the case, while I would bet every cop was at least aware and looking for anything that might help, even as they were more directly involved in other cases or patrolling. I also remember various communities being worried about the effect of diminished police presence on "everyday" crime as more and more cops were shifted to the sniper case.

Mark