RARA-AVIS: paaperback readerships in the 1950s

From: Jay Gertzman ( jgertzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 03 Sep 2003

A very knowledgeable paperback bookseller has told me that one way to ascertain the target audience(s) for paperback crime novels in the 40s and 50s is to find any records of advertising agencies which firms like Lion, Gold Medal, Avon, etc. employed to help them determine who potential buyers were. I wonder if anyone has tried to find out who these agencies were and how to access any records. I do not think that archives of paperback firms of the 50s are available, with the exception of the New Ameircan Library (at NYU).