Re: RARA-AVIS: Marijane Meaker and Patricia Highsmith

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 01 Sep 2003

Thanks to Bill and Al for the list of Packer Gold Medals, and to Brian for the New York Times article. I'm working my way through Meaker's HIGHSMITH book. It's good. I've learned a lot. I always thought that the paperback originals of Gold Medal were a standard in the 50s. I didn't know there was a stigma attached to writing them. Guess I should have guessed when I read that Charles Williams wanted out of them.

Meaker says she hung out at the Algonquins bar in New York, a place popular with the Gold Medal crowd.

Gotta cruise... Labor Day and we're gonna go for a hike at Spring Mill State Park. Later.

miker