Re: RARA-AVIS: adaptations

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 31 Aug 2003

Mark,

Re your question below:

> Looking at those Marlowe adaptations made me wonder
> -- has anyone seen
> Brasher Dubloon? It's one of the few Marlowe
> adaptations I haven't
> seen.

I have. the film has a decently gritty quality, but George Montgomery is too youthful and boyish for the part, and the mustache just makes him look like a kid trying to appear older.

In another ten or fifteen years, he might (on the evidence of performances in other films) have been pretty good in the role. You could say he was the anti-Mitchum (Mitchum having come to the role about ten or fifteen years too late).

JIM DOHERTY