Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Browne's Ashes

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 29 Aug 2003

Interesting question, Richard. We often talk about those books that we get more out of each time we reread them. However, you are talking about how much a book can exposes itself on one reading, the thrill of discovery. In that light, I think I might have to go with Richard Stark's The Hunter (although I first read it as Point Blank). I'm not saying I haven't gotten more out of this book upon rereading it, but that first time, wow.

Still, I'm going to cheat and give a backup choice and say The Long Good-bye, the book that opened up the whole hardboiled world to me.

Mark