Re: RARA-AVIS: amoral noir/hardboiled protagonists

From: Alanhorn3@cs.com
Date: 29 Aug 2003

<< > Richard Stark's Parker
> Paul Cain's Kells
> Charles Willeford's sociopathic anti-heroes
>
> Anyone else to add to this list?

 The problem would be where to stop, Alan. >>

I take your point. To clarify, I was trying to decide who the MOST amoral noir/hardboiled antiheroes were--whether there were any as essentially coldblooded and dangerous as the ones listed above, especially the first one. Characters from some of the authors you mention might fit here. Some of Jim Thompson's protagonists might. His psychotic ones would be disqualified as they have their own twisted morality. I don't see Cain's and Starr's antiheroes as being in the same class.

Alan

Alan