RE: RARA-AVIS: Top 10 Noir Films... AND MORE

From: Etienne Borgers ( wbac1203@wanadoo.be)
Date: 23 Aug 2003

NOIR FILMS - RECOMMENDATION LISTS

I strongly suggest you consult my web site, where you will find a rather large chapter devoted to Noir/HB films. It's giving recommendation lists and they are grouped by time periods (from noir roots to neo-noir). For
*each period* there are also, besides the list of recommended films, a selection of 4 films considered as the best and most representative. There are of course some general comments (short texts) for each period, allowing you to situate why these periods and how I see the evolution of this genre.

I suppose that nobody here will again try to prove that Noir is strictly a kind of expressionist crime film produced during a certain time frame by the American cinema (roughly 40's and 50's). That's a false and obsolete view. Noir film is a genre. And it's international.

You may also be interested by the attached chapters showing the links of other cinema genres with Noir, genres wherein a lot of good films are in fact Noir under disguise.
(title: Noir neighbors)

You will find these chapters and film recommendations at: HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

check out the FILMS section link (in: CONTENTS)

Hope this will help.

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES