Re: "Post-Modern" or "Bad Taste"? Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Films

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 22 Aug 2003

On 22 August 2003, Michael Robison wrote:

: Are you trying to work this back to Willeford's BURNT ORANGE
: HERESY, referring to the guy who became a famous painter by
: hanging an empty frame over a crack in his wall?

I was at a art show in the country a few weeks ago. The jury is a bit snooty and careful to distinguish art from craft, although they'd be better off spending more time distinguishing good from bad. One person I know had been told not to bother submitting some very nice tables he'd made. I said he should make a picture frame and hang it in one of the windows in the exhibition hall, framing the beautiful scenery outside. Even better, he could hang it with the front facing out, so that we were the subjects, and the art could only properly be seen from outside--which no-one ever could, because the window was 40 feet off the ground.

Of course, I had to explain about Jacques Debierue and Willeford, but I just got blank stares in response, so I moved on to something else.

Bill