Re: RARA-AVIS: Where to start with Ross MacDonald

From: Mario Taboada (
Date: 22 Aug 2003

Macdonald's writing was always excellent, so you lose nothing by taking up _The Goodbye Look_. I have special affection for _The Zebra-Striped Hearse_, _The Far Side of the Dollar_ and an early one, _The Ivory Grin_. My advice is to go to a used bookstore and grab a handful, then sit down and enjoy the ride. Jerry lives.

Lawrence Block once wrote that, as soon as he finishes a Macdonald book, he forgets everything about it. I've had exactly the same experience. That's an added benefit of your investment in the handful of yellowed, dog-eared paperbacks. Mouse lives.

Best regards,