Re: "Post-Modern" or "Bad Taste"? Was: Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Films

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 22 Aug 2003

"Oh, yeah, because if it's 'post-modern' it has to be good."

I was joking!

I was not defending postmodernism as a concept. I was not even recognizing the floating term of postmodernism as a useful concept. I was trying to poke fun at Jim, but more so at myself for how theoretical I had gotten in a discussion which really boiled down to Jim doesn't like the movie adaptation/interpretation and I, after first hating it for pretty much the exact reasons he does, came to like the movie very much. I'll even go so far as to say that much aesthetic theorizing (at least my own) is simply trying to shore up gut responses with a lot of fancy terms and concepts.

Besides, the blank message was more Dada than postmodern, anyway.

Mark