Re: RARA-AVIS: Davidson: Smith, again

From: Craig Smith ( craismith@earthlink.net)
Date: 21 Aug 2003

Todd Mason wrote:

> Craig, I owe you a debt. I've been thinking he had a nonfiction Edgar for
> years, and now discover that I'd misread something (or been misinformed
> otherwise), probably about his short-fiction Edgar for "The Affair at Lahore
> Cantonment" in 1962...I hadn't sat down with a list and sought out the
> datum. For a year, he Was the only person to have both a Hugo and an Edgar,
> till Jack/John Holbrook Vance joined him in that club...though I suspect
> some sort of citatation was attached to Avram Davidson's early-'60s true
> crime work...I now know it wasn't an Edgar.

Glad I could help in some way. So, where do you think you picked up the info on Davidson's writing techniques in the "Men's Sweat" magazines?

> Glad you unlurked, btw. There's a Lot of uncollected AD nonfiction, I
> suspect. TM

Thanks. I asked a friend, who knew Avram, about him working for the men's magazines, and he confirmed it. He was a terrific writer and I'd be curious to read his version of a "I bit the head off a cobra, while fighting Amazon Nazis" story from the "true" magazines.

Craig Smith