Re: RARA-AVIS: The Big Sleep dvd

From: dmcglone@san.rr.com
Date: 21 Aug 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 09:30:28PM -0400, Bill Bowers wrote:
> [...]

Heretical as it may seem, I prefer the pre-release version. Bacall has never been a favorite of mine and there's less of her in that one. Also the plot makes more sense (well, a little) and seems a little more 'noir' to me. By that I mean, there's less Hollywood glamour. As the documentary on the DVD makes clear, the purpose of the changes was to showcase Bacall. They did so at the expense of the movie, in my opinion. I'm not saying the released version is bad, but more was lost than gained by the changes.

Mark McGlone dmcglone@san.rr.com