RARA-AVIS: The Big Sleep dvd

From: Bill Bowers ( BBowers@one.net)
Date: 21 Aug 2003

<-----------Original Message----------->
>Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:29:03 -0400 (EDT)
>From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net (Mark Sullivan)
>Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Films: Gerlach
>
>[...]
>Hell, as far as that goes, which Hawks's Big Sleep? The original
>release or the original, but only recently released cut? Then again,
>aren't both on the DVD?

...both are on the single disc (but double-sided) DVD I bought quite some time ago, along with a documentary analyzing the differences between the 1945 & 1946 versions, There is only two minutes difference in the running time between the two....

Having said that, no, I've not yet watched the documentary [according to the dvd liner notes the 1946 version is "full of reshot scenes of incendiary Bogart/Bogart chemistry", fwiw], nor the longer 1945
"prerelease" version...

RSN

I'll stay out of the General Pontificating, but, while he is terribly uneven, I _like_ most Altman. But then, in most things these days, I prefer irrelevance, rather than slavishly attempting to port one medium to another.

If I were to _limit_ my film viewing to "faithful adaptations" of works I'd read first, that would pretty much limit my viewing, out of thousands seen in over-compensation from a media-free youth over the past 45 years ... to the three Willeford films....

Not that that would be such a bad thing, now that I think about it.....

[BTW: Minor gripe ... but these things fill up rather rapidly ... when someone backquotes the entire previous Digest! As I said, _minor_ ...]

--
Bill Bowers
         This reminds me of one of my favorite literary quotations, being
what Joyce's brother Stanislaus wrote to JJ about his Finnegans Wake:
         "It is unutterably wearisome, the last gasp of literature before
its final extinction. I should not read a word of it, if I did not know you."
                 --- Douglas A. Anderson | fictionmags