Re: RARA-AVIS: Noir Films

From: Cinefrog ( Cinefrog@comcast.net)
Date: 21 Aug 2003

Somebody asked for direction ...into Noir!!!

I strongly believe that for essential initiation to Film Noir one should go to:

-The Night and the City - Jules Dassin (50)

-On Dangerous Ground - Nick Ray (52)

-Le Samoura Jean-Pierre Melville (67)

-The Long Good Friday - John Mackenzie (80)

-Bad Lieutenant - Abel Ferrara (92)

these 5 films cover the genre and span its evolution thru the decades in all aspects/icons/locations/countries/gender roles/criminal activities/sex & madness/armory/politics/camera style/editing style/direction/acting abilities & performances/loneliness & abscence/nastiness & bile...etc...etc...

all those will get you into the mood....

now, spend friday night reviewing those....

walk around in a big mall for two hours.....then in a city (any size) for another two...

drive slowly back home....

start your favorite drink around 5PM

then watch:

The Spy who Came In From The Cold - Martin Ritt (65)

.....and the two John Le Carr頠BBC series (Tinker Tailor...and Smileys People)...and you are done and Noired/Blackened for the rest of you life...

for now on ANYTHING will be Noir somehow...especially the good ones, the accepted ones, the safe ones that all the noir anthologies will recommend....evil and mayhem will creep in every 'real' show you might even zap-stumble upon...

don't forget to refill...after the stumble...

now read: The Getaway Man by Andrew Vachss and The Dark Fantastic by Stanley Ellin...

you are dark my friend and you feel good...

Steve le Montois de D鴲oit