RARA-AVIS: Top 10 Noir Films Based on BOOKS: Lindroos

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 21 Aug 2003

From: JT Lindroos [mailto: juha@oivas.com]

Given that this list about BOOKS, (some of) my favorite (and obvious) adaptations of noir/hardboiled classics are:

The Big Heat (William P. McGivern/Fritz Lang)

---Juha, ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW (from a WPM novel, and with a John Lewis score) definitely would be on my Other Top Eleven. Still my favorite over-the-top ending so far, in any film.

Double Indemnity (James M. Cain/Billy Wilder)

---Perhaps unfairly, I could never take Fred McMurray seriously in this.

The Grifters (Jim Thompson/Stephen Frears)

---And Donald Westlake as adaptor. This and his original script for THE STEPFATHER is also on that Other Top List. Books and other fiction-delivery vehicles... TM