RARA-AVIS: Davidson: Smith

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 21 Aug 2003

I haven't located my own copy of his Edgar-winning nonfiction book, but as I understand it he wrote both for the CAVALIER-level of pretty respectable skin mags and for the hairy-chest lurids, with integrity that Algis Budrys reports had him and AD's other colleagues in the racket rolling their eyes more in wonder than anything else. He would do research, sometimes at considerable expense, rather than making things up out of whole cloth, as did Budrys, Robert Silverberg, Harry Harrison and other talented contributors to the likes of MAN and MEN'S ADVENTURE. TM

-----Original Message----- From: Craig Smith [mailto: craismith@earthlink.net]
> The most startling thing about these magazines, perhaps, is that in the
work
> that Avram Davidson published in at least some of them was actually, to
the
> best of his ability to make it so, true. TM

How so and do you mean Davidson's writing in CAVALIER, or the "Men's True Guts" type magazines?