Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: THE LONG GOODBYE (1973)

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 20 Aug 2003

Chris wrote:

"Hamlet" ain't Kyd's "Spanish Tragedy" and "Dreigroschenoper" ain't Gay's "Beggar's Opera," either. Shouldn't artists be free to adapt?

Sure. As I said, I ended up liking Altman's film once I set aside my expectations that it be Chandler's Marlowe.

Speaking of Kyd, Thomas in this case, his Goodbye and Goodnight is another good adaptation of Long Goodbye. The best, though, is Crumley's Last Good Kiss, which expands upon Marlowe's search for the author.

Mark